Saturday, December 13, 2008

Choir of High Hopes





This is the Choir of High Hopes. Last night I had the privilege of attending their Christmas Concert. It was called 'Á Rough Diamond Christmas. Their quote (and I love quotes) was: "Not the strongest nor the weakest but the one who has high hopes and never lets go." By Steve Menadue.

For those who don't know The Choir of High Hopes is based roughly around the successful Choir of Hard Knocks. It gives disadvantaged people the opportunity to do something positive and creative.

The choir performed both general and Christmas songs and guest starred opera soprano Emily Burke,

I personally knew many of the people in the choir through mental health groups and hospital admissions. Seeing them up there singing with enthusiasm nearly brought me to tears.

And now, for an opinion. The link between mental illness and creativity is, in my opinion, clear. So, why stop with a choir? What about a play, an art exhibition, a poetry reading etc. That way mentally ill people have something to do that they love.

The benefits, I think, are obvious. People who are happier costs the government less money in hospital admissions, services and Centrelink payments. Anyway I think it makes sense but I know many who would disagree. Let me know if you agree or disagree.

God Bless

Amber

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant idea Amber. You should write to the Psych ward and to community centres and suggest it!

    ReplyDelete